What's a Common Reader -- and what is Uncommon Reading?

Virginia Woolf defined a common reader as someone who is not a scholar; not a critic. A common reader "reads for his own pleasure rather than to impart knowledge or correct the opinions of others. Above all, he is guided by an instinct to create for himself, out of whatever odds and ends he can come by, some kind of whole." By that definition, I'm definitely a common reader -- reading an uncommonly large and diverse collection of books.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bastille Day Giveaway: Reminder & Update!

Just a quick reminder to all blog followers: the deadline to enter the Bastille Day giveaway is TOMORROW at MIDNIGHT on the East Coast of North America (9 PM to those of you in Vancouver, LA or San Francisco...)

The details are in the post (see the list of most-read posts in the right-hand column). You need to e-mail me at uncommonreading@gmail.com to be entered.  (And yes, I'm checking my spam filter to make sure I'm not missing anything that isn't a scam from Burkina Faso...)

A minor tweak: as you'll note, the number of books available is tied to the number of new followers. Right now, that's 22 people, or 1 book. With a late surge, I suppose that might hit 40 people, or two books (101 followers). As the response has been great but not overwhelming, I'll be giving the winner or winners their choice of one title from the list of five books.

I'll notify the winner via e-mail shortly after midnight -- as soon as I do the random number draw (courtesy of Random.org) and post the result the next day.

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I just posted on 10 books related to France to celebrate Bastille Day. I invite you to come and visit: http://wordsandpeace.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/bastille-day-good-books-for-your-week-end-0716-17/
    Thanks
    Emma @ Words And Peace

    ReplyDelete