What's a Common Reader -- and what is Uncommon Reading?

Virginia Woolf defined a common reader as someone who is not a scholar; not a critic. A common reader "reads for his own pleasure rather than to impart knowledge or correct the opinions of others. Above all, he is guided by an instinct to create for himself, out of whatever odds and ends he can come by, some kind of whole." By that definition, I'm definitely a common reader -- reading an uncommonly large and diverse collection of books.

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Book Biz: Next-Gen Book Tours

When Chasing Goldman Sachs came out last summer, and people started asking me when/where I'd be going on book tour, my publicist broke it to me that book tours are so last century. But it looks like Ayelet Waldman has found a clever way to innovate! And my friend Kim Brittingham has come up with an even wilder proposal: anyone who buys a very large quantity of her new memoir, Read My Hips, to give away, wins her presence and participation in a creative project of the purchaser's choice. Glad to see such creativity in marketing, beyond the creativity on the printed page!

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2011/06/book-tours-age-social-networks?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/followthereader

No comments:

Post a Comment